What fruits can be eaten with diabetes?
The number of patients suffering from diabetes is increasing every year. Unfortunately, diabetes mellitus is a disease of the endocrine system, which is characterized by a steady increase in blood glucose due to complete or partial insufficiency of insulin. There are no drugs that can cure diabetes completely, and therefore we can say that this disease involves a certain lifestyle or even a way of thinking. It is necessary to control laboratory parameters, monitor the diet, take medications, and exclude those factors that can provoke sharp jumps in blood glucose. If you have been recently diagnosed, then you probably have a lot of questions about what a diabetic can do and what is forbidden for him. which fruit diabetic patient can eat ?
It is a well-known fact that vegetables and fruits are very useful for the whole organism, and without them, it is impossible to make any balanced diet. However, a diabetic needs to know which vegetables and fruits can be eaten with diabetes, and which ones should be eaten with caution or abandoned altogether. It should also be distinguished which fruits can be eaten with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes is characterized by the fact that the patient's pancreas does not produce insulin. In type 2 diabetes, insulin is produced by the pancreas in normal amounts, but for several reasons, insulin is not absorbed by the cells of the body. Due to the different etiologies of type 1 and type 2 diseases, it is necessary to differentiate which fruits and vegetables can be eaten for a particular patient with diabetes. This does not mean that fruits with diabetes cannot be eaten. Just the choice of products that are eaten, patients with this disease should be treated as responsibly as possible.
which fruit diabetic patient can eat?
Patients who have been diagnosed and confirmed the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes should take into account such an indicator as the glycemic index when choosing fruits for their diet. It indicates, in fact, how much the level of glucose in the blood will change if you consume this or that product in a certain amount.The index of whole glucose is usually taken as an index equal to 100. Based on this, there is the following gradation:
• An index of less than 40 means fruits and berries with a low glucose content. Such fruits for diabetics with type 1 pathology are preferable. As a rule, these are sour and sour-sweet fruits.
• An index of 40 to 70 is considered average. Such fruits can be consumed in diabetes, but with caution and take into account the glycemic index when calculating the dosage of insulin. If necessary, it can be increased.
• An index of more than 70 - these fruits cannot be eaten with type 1 diabetes, and are not recommended for type 2 diabetes.
So, let's take a closer look at what fruits you can eat with diabetes of this type.
• Can a diabetic eat oranges? Definitely yes. Citrus fruits have a GI below 40 and are recommended by specialists for use by patients with this form of pathology.
• Can a diabetic eat bananas? The answer to this question is ambiguous. You can, but only if the banana is green. Ripe bananas are categorically contraindicated, as they contain too much glucose and can dramatically increase blood sugar. Thus, a banana for diabetes is not for everyone, and with caution.
• What berries can be eaten with diabetes? Nutritionists recommend giving preference to sour berries that have a low GI, namely: lingonberries, raspberries, red currants, cherries, cherries, blackberries, blueberries, and some others. However, strawberries for diabetes should also be chosen carefully - there are varieties with high sugar content.
• Is it possible to eat apples with diabetes? Not only possible but also very useful, as apples are rich in vitamins, iron, and fiber. But the amount of glucose in them is minimal. So, apples for diabetes - a definite yes.
• Kiwi for diabetes is another berry that can and should be consumed. This berry gives the body the maximum charge of vitamin C and a number of other useful trace elements.
What fruits can be given to patients with the first type of diabetes with high sugar, we have reviewed in general terms and hope that the general principles have become clear to the reader.
what fruits are good for diabetics type 2?
Previously, we determined that type 2 diabetes mellitus is non-insulin dependent since this hormone is produced in sufficient quantities by the pancreas. The principle of the development of pathology, respectively, is completely different and recommendations regarding nutrition, respectively, are somewhat different from the above.
Patients suffering from type 2 diabetes should also pay attention to GI. But this is not enough! They also need to control the calorie content of products. After all, more often this form of the disease develops against the background of metabolic disorders and obesity. Thus, the answer to the question of which fruit is contraindicated in obesity and diabetes is the one that has the maximum calorie content.
best fruits for diabetics type 2:
• sweet cherry;
• citrus fruits.
What best fruits for diabetics type is confirmed? You can safely add a small amount to the diet:
• green banana;
• lemons and oranges.
There is such an unspoken rule of the palm. The daily portion of berries in a diabetic should fit in the palm of your hand. You can eat 4-5 small peaches or apricots for diabetes.
what fruit are not good for diabetics?
Are there any berries or fruits that are absolutely impossible for people with diabetes? Experts do not recommend eating, especially in large quantities:
• watermelons, as they have a high sugar content;
• grapes contain a large amount of glucose, not fructose, and are capable, despite the low GI, of quickly increase blood sugar levels;
• ripe bananas;
• mango and some others.
It is strictly not recommended to eat dried fruits. During the preparation of this product, the glycemic index of some fruits and berries may increase several times, which can become hazardous to health.
It is also strictly forbidden to use packaged and bottled fruit and berry juices and fruit drinks, which are sold in stores. Such drinks have a high sugar content and are not suitable for patients with both types of disease.
what can diabetics eat when craving something sweet?
In caring for people who cannot afford to eat a bar of chocolate or a kilo of ripe fragrant bananas, many manufacturers include in their assortment specialized products for patients suffering from diabetes, namely:
• dried berries in a special way;
• jams and preserves without sugar;
• peanut butter without sugar;
• sugar substitutes;
• sweets for diabetics;
• cookies and gingerbread. The main difference between such products and others more familiar to the buyer is that fructose
is used instead of sugar in the production process. Otherwise, today products for patients with this disease have high quality and taste characteristics. Experiments were conducted in which the subjects were offered a tasting of products for diabetics and the usual products from the store, for those who have no restrictions. Many could not determine the difference and were very surprised by this.
Over time, the diet becomes a way of life and does not cause discomfort to a person. You can eat vegetables, herbs, meat, and dairy products almost without restrictions. It is only important to measure arterial blood glucose in a timely manner and compare the results with the norm. You will know both the number of fruits, vegetables, or sweets that you can afford and the critical amounts of certain foods that you should not abuse.
If you are in doubt about your choice, please consult your doctor or nutritionist. This will help avoid mistakes that can be fatal to your health. We hope that the reader will find answers to all his questions in this review about fruits and berries that are recommended for use by patients with diagnosed diabetes.
What's Your Reaction?